I thought the distance would be the most difficult part of this relationship, but hands down the biggest challenge is getting through the cultural differences and language barriers. Nove can speak English well enough we can converse, but trying to have deep meaningful conversations is a lot of translating. I'll give you an example. We were discussing or actually I was being told when we get to the Philippines there are things I will need to change because they are not acceptable there. I said I understand that and that was what relationships are all about. I told her It's all about compromise. I said I have no problem changing things that you don't like, but you also must do the same. She has this habit of getting extremely angry when I do something that is unacceptable in her culture. I said you must change in this way. Don't get angry. Just tell me and I'll keep it in mind. She shouts I'll never change. So, I was extremely hurt by this and said then this just isn't going to work out. After a few hours of trying to communicate why this was unacceptable she finally understands and explains she was saying her feelings for me would never change. She explained when she falls in love with me and decides she wants to spend her life with me it is for life as if we are already husband and wife. Now people say these types of things all the time and of course it doesn't always turn out that way, but in Philippine culture a lot of times this is fact. Filipinas are temperamental and jealous, but when they love it is a deep meaningful love that makes it all worth it.
No comments:
Post a Comment